Thursday, December 07, 2006

A FATHER, A ROLE MODEL

Some gang-bangin' thug was brought to the ER for a head injury he sustained in a fight with two other guys. Apparently, this poor guy was minding his own business and had no reason to be assaulted. I guess he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pretty common story.
Well, his head CT was normal and I stapled his head laceration. After a while, he stopped being so aggressive with the nurses and myself and informed me that he just wanted to get home to see his girlfriend and kid. I asked him about his young son and told him we had stuffed animals in the ER, and that he should take one home to give to his little boy. He said fine so I gave him one. Prior to discharge from the ER, he simply threw the stuffed animal in the garbage and then spit on it. For all fathers out there, here is our role model.
Maybe this guy would be an excellent candidate for the first ever American sterilization experiment.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minding his own business--of course! Someone of a similar fate told me he was on the porch, reading the BIBLE when it all happened.

That detail of the stuffed animal ratchets this from depressing to violently depressing. Yes--bring on reproductive permits, or whatever it takes to have fewer terrible parents out there.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Caduceus said...

Glad to hear someone agrees with me. I'm sure some will think I am walking a thin line between socially annoyed and racially scewed. I really don't care what color a person is, but I do care if you act and purposely look like a complete POS.

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe this is at ALL a race issue either. It's about the choices people make. Yes, people who are in certain socioeconomic groups begin life with the deck stacked against them, and often have far fewer choices in regards to how they live their lives.

However, when it comes to responsible reproduction, there are a lot of options readily available. Which means that producing a child you don't even want and have no means to care for is truly a preventable tragedy. Whether it's a child, a pet, or a houseplant, bringing a living thing into your life means making a commitment and following through.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think one of the prime objectives of the human genome project should be to figure out how to flip "off" reproductive ability of every child born. Then, when you're old enough, you can take a test to have your reproductive ability turned back "on." Can't pass the test? No babies for you!!

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home