Friday, February 15, 2008

UPDATE ON LIFE

Since my complete lack of posts to this site over many months, there have been changes both in my life and medical practice. Some have changed the ways in which I view some issues. Yes, the experiences one deals with on a daily basis do in fact mold the impressions we form of society and affect the way look at and treat others.

During my sabbatical away from this blog I had a son. Not to sound cliché, but he is the light of my life. Funny how he is the one to need everything literally spoon fed to him and helped at every step of the way, yet I am the one who feels empty when away from him. Having a child, changes a person. I will always be a cynic at heart, but now I have to have hope for the future. No longer can I watch the evening news simply b/c of the violence painted over nearly every story.

Another affect a child can have on a parent, which as sad as it may be does not happen sometimes, is that the parent suddenly wants to be a better person. You tend to let go of the mundane and minor squabbles of your past and focus more on the positive, or better yet, what could be.

With that said, I will state a few things that, after reading most of the entries in this blog, may surprise you...

First, I have received and posted several replies about the chiropractic issue, which I have addressed in the past. After reading them and considering the topic further, I wanted to address some thoughts again. Patients deserve the best care possible. Whether they are helped by medical, chiropractic, or other means is irrelevant. What matters is that patients get better or are helped in some way THEY deem appropriate. Obviously, if someone's having a heart attack, they need a hospital, not an adjustment. Along those same lines, aggressive medical care is not always appropriate and other means should be sought. My chiropractic colleagues have just as much a right to try and help patients as I do. Whether the patient chooses an MD, DO, DC, PT, or any other two-letter degree is their prerogative. It is not my place to criticize any profession when I make mistakes on a daily basis. Medicine is more an art than a science, and from college I can tell you I'm no artist.

Second, we as a society are in distress. I have no idea as the state of the rest of the world but it appears that in this country we're in trouble. Children are becoming parents by the age of 16, and worse yet, given their total lack of knowledge or fear of birth defects, they smoke, drink, and do drugs during pregnancy. The elderly, who are revered and looked upon as the highest tier in some cultures, are left for dead in nursing homes - rotting away for years at the expense of the American tax payer. (I only bring this one up b/c I really worry about what will happen to my parents with age.) The middle class, those that make up the majority in the country, are carrying the brunt of the financial problem. They work and make a wage, yet do not qualify for certain health care aid programs and still have to save for retirement and their children’s' college years. Our politicians are so two-sided and divided that this country will likely never feel as a united front, despite whatever terrorist act takes place next.

We are a nation of aggressive, back-stabbing, cheating, selfish, undermining, materialistic gluttons who are spiraling down. I can only say these things because I too am part of society.

I am afraid for our children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home